Tell Congress to Defend Wild Horses, Oppose Slaughter!
America’s wild horses and burros again need your help during a busy time in the U.S. Congress.
The House Interior Subcommittee on Tuesday approved a Fiscal Year 2019 Interior appropriations bill that includes language that would bar the Bureau of Land Management from killing healthy wild horses and burros.
On Wednesday, the full House Appropriations Committee voted for the second straight year to keep open the door to legal horse slaughter as part of its FY19 Agriculture appropriations bill.
Key Senate and House Appropriations committees will have the opportunity to stand up for our horses, both wild and domestic, by voting to keep in place needed protections.
1) Call (202) 225-3121 today. Tell your senators that you:
- Oppose any amendments to the Fiscal Year 2019 Interior Appropriations bill allowing BLM to kill wild horses and burros which is scheduled for markup in early June;
- upport the SAFE Act (S. 1706) to ban slaughter and the transportation of horses for slaughter.
2) Contact members of the Senate Appropriations Committee (see link for list) and urge them to:
- Support the “horse slaughter defund amendment” to the Senate’s Fiscal Year 2019 Agriculture appropriations billscheduled to be considered early next week.
3) Tell your representative that you:
- Oppose any amendments to the Fiscal Year 2019 Interior Appropriations bill allowing BLM to kill wild horses and burros;
- Support the SAFE Act (H.R. 113) to ban slaughter and the transportation of horses for slaughter.
- upport the Horse Transportation Safety Act (H.R. 4040) to ban hauling horses on double-deck trailers under all circumstances.
lease help spread the word by sharing this email and our social media posts with call graphics like the one above.